Monday, May 10, 2010

April 2nd 2010. This was a very important day... do any of you know why?

Well, for those of you guys that answered no, I didn't know either when this date was brought to my attention. I was actually laying on a beach in Florida when this day passed. But to my surprise, I recently just found out this day was World Autism Awareness Day.

After some research, I found that this day was just recently recognized in 2007. This day was recognized all around the world and the purpose of it is to raise awareness of autism in society and to encourage early diagnosis and intervention. This day shows the world that autism is a growing global health crisis affecting millions of people. This day is to celebrate the talents and different skills of people with autism and embrace these people with the many events happening around the world. The website I found said that World Autism Awareness Day is to bring all of the autism organization groups from around the world to give millions of individuals who are undiagnosed, misunderstood, and looking for help a voice in the world.

While on the main website for World Autism Awareness Day, I had a chance to look at all of the organizations involved in this great project. There is a whole page that is absolutely huge of groups that contributed and participated in this day. There were groups from all around the world, from Australia to the some places I have never even heard of! The list of groups that participated can be found here.

This was an amazing day and a great event that many groups and people participated in all around the world. I plan on participating next year so I can learn more about World Autism Awareness Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment