Thursday, May 13, 2010

Everyone has a story. While researching on the Autism Society of America Website, I found some touching stories of people with autism spectrum disorders and family members of people with them. These stories show personal growth in people, important accomplishments, and struggles people dealing with autism had to go through.

One story that really jumped out at me was a story about a 21 year old named Rory. Rory is in a band called Rudely Interrupted, and what's cool about this band is that everyone in it has a disability. This band is very unique and was actually the first EVER indie-band to be invited to play in New York to mark the International Day of People with Disabilities. Rory says in the story that he named the band Rudely Interrupted because "it feels like my life is consistently being interrupted". He says that band helps him deal with situations in his life and put everything in his life into perspective. One of my favorite lines from the story is "just because I have a disability it doesn't mean I can't ROCK".

All of the stories I read were very inspirational and I encourage everyone to at least take the time and read one. I'm sure you will be able to connect to one just like I did with Rory.



No comments:

Post a Comment